Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm Really Doing It!

So my dear dear friends and family,...here's a little background for all of you who are thinking.."Umm..Mary and Running??  Does not compute."  I had an amazing conversation with my boss Claudia and my good friend and colleague Melissa about taking risks, and having that moment of pushing yourself beyond the limits of what even you think is possible and realizing that you've done it.  That "life changing moment".  You hear it happening at retreats, ropes courses, and various physical events.  I mentioned that I've never had that type of moment and wish I could.  Granted, I've overcome incredible odds, both mentally and physically, but that was all gradual.  I wanted that one shining moment.  The next day, Melissa slid a flyer across the table at a meeting and there it was....the Crohn's and Colitis Team Challenge Half-Marathon.  I gave it considerable thought and finally...I decided.  I was doing it.

Now...I am not a runner.  But, I feel like this is my year.  I. Am. Doing. It.  I am stronger mentally than I've been in years, and I feel like this is going to be an experience that will change my life!  Last Thursday, I went to an info session/team meeting at the Brookline Public Library, and met some incredible people.  There are two marathons this summer, one in Hawaii in June and one in Napa in July.  The team trains together and travels together to California.  A high percentage of the participants are patients with either Crohn's Disease or Colitis, and the rest are people who have been impacted in one way or another, either as family or friends.  Needless to say, I know this is going to be an incredible and emotional experience...and if I didn't know before Thursday, I knew when even the slideshow made me cry.  Just all these people professing their reasons for running in the race...it is just so emotional and moving!

SO...13.1 miles here I come!  Kickoff party is at Jillians in Boston on February 24th, and then we start training as a team!   I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment